Victorian gent

Star writers: Charles Dickens

When I was a child, I often read books that weren’t considered to be children’s books. So I thought it would be good to post about some writers that aren’t considered particularly kid-friendly but are geniuses. Everyone is at a different stage with their reading but you might want to check out some of these writers. There’s so many to choose from but I have to start somewhere so ….

Charles Dickens was born in 1812 in Portsmouth. In Victorian times the trendy new ‘novel’ took over from poems as THE most popular thing to read. Charles Dickens used his books to try to change society by writing about the conditions of poor people in such books as Oliver Twist, Great Expectations, A Christmas Carol and Hard Times.
His realistic stories featured dramatic pictures of children struggling for survival in settings like factories and workhouses (Oliver Twist).
This type of writing is at times a bit gloomy and many modern readers find a bit over emotional. But if you can get past that, you’ll be rewarded by a timeless storyteller. No wonder Disney did A Christmas Carol with ducks! Dickens is also the
master of epic phrases and sentences that turn on a sixpence: ‘It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. We modern readers might find his epic tales of cruelty to orphans and disabled children a tiny bit over the top. But Dickens used his own experiences in his writing to make it more effective. Charles’s childhood mirrors that of the protagonist Pip in Great Expectations. His father was also imprisoned for debts leaving the twelve-year-old Charles to work in a button factory for 6 shillings a week to help his family get by. So we can’t blame him for making stuff up. If you are in any doubt that the man is a serious candidate for the hall of fame… he often wrote two books at the same time and he recited hours and hours of his own work in sell out tours of the UK and the USA.

To have a go at writing your own Victorian story, check out the themes available in Creative Writing Club.

Thanks to CWC blogger Eshter K for co-writing this post!

Victorian gent