It’s time to write a Saxon story. King Alfred is on the run. Will he escape from his sworn enemies – the invading Vikings? You decide!
P.S. If you prefer you could also write this story from a Viking perspective.
⊕ Go through the steps below to create your story...
1. Choose a name for your first character (Saxon male names)
- Alfred (King of the Saxons)
2. Choose a name for your second character (names for Saxon women or girls)
3. Choose a viking character to be in the story... (the invading Vikings were the enemies of the Anglo-Saxons)
- Guthrum (Viking king)
Just choose one Viking for now - fewer characters at the start makes planning easier.
4. Where does your story start?
- A shepherd's hut (where King Alfred is said to have burnt the cakes)
- The marshes (a great hiding place)
- The battlefield (the two sides fought at Edington in 878 AD)
- The watch tower
5. Choose two things to be in the story...
- some burnt cakes
- an axe
- a bow
- a shield
- a kidnapping
- a sword
- a message
- an army
- Choose your own idea