On August 3rd 1492, Spanish explorer Christopher Columbus is about to set sail with his three ships the Santa Maria, the Nina and the Pinta across the Atlantic ocean. He doesn’t know where the voyage will end. What dangers will he face on the way? You decide!
Download the pdf Storymaker http://club.creativewritingclub.co.uk/themes/christopher-columbus/resources-to-print-christopher-columbus/
⊕ Go through the steps below to create your story...
1. Choose three characters...
- Christopher Columbus (captain)
- Pepe (sailor)
- Enrico (ship's doctor)
- Ship's cat
- Itzal (Mayan islander)
2. What happens on the voyage....
- your sailors are sick and weak (scurvy)
- there's a terrible storm
- pirates chase you
- mutiny (your crew rebels)
- rats eat your food
- you get lost
- when you find land, the locals (Mayans) are not pleased to see you.
3. Choose two objects....
- sack of biscuits
- barrel of water
- bag of limes (stops scurvy)
- presents for the islanders
Columbus would have had a compass. In the 15th century, Prince Henry of Portugal advised his sailors to use magnetic compass for long sea voyages.
4. Write the story...
If you are writing with a partner, write one line each.