Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. A ghost has been seen walking the battlements. The old King died randomly in his sleep. The new King – his brother Claudius – married the old king’s wife. Sounds fishy? It’s up to you… the Danish Detective – to solve the mystery.
⊕ Go through the steps below to create your story...
1. Choose a character to be the 'detective'?
- Hamlet Prince of Denmark (the dead king's son)
- Horatio (Hamlet's best friend)
- Fortinbras (military leader)
- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern (Hamlet's university pals)
2. Where do you look for clues first?
- the castle battlements
- the king's chamber
- the queen's bedroom
- behind the arras (curtain)
- the stream
- the courtyard theatre
- Hamlet's room
- Choose your own idea
3. When you search the area - you find...
- a ghostly figure saying: "Avenge me!"
- old Polonius has been stabbed behind the curtain
- Ophelia has been drowned
- Queen Gertrude in tears
- King Clawdius confessing his crime to heaven
- Laertes with a sword in his hand
- The players putting on a play about a King who murder's his brother
4. What happens next? Write the story from the most exciting scene.
If you are working with a partner - write one line each.
4. Two pieces of evidence have been discovered...
- a skull
- a rapier (sword)
- a bottle of poison
- a string of flowers
- the Queen's gold
- witnesses report a ghost saying "AVENGE ME HAMLET FOR I WAS KILLED BY YOUR UNCLE"