Romeo and Juliet is about two young people from opposing groups – the Montagues and the Capulets. The young people fall in love but fate seems to be against them. The play is set in medieval Italy (in Verona) where the ‘star crossed’ lovers meet. But in this version, you can choose any setting you like – as long as it includes rival ‘tribes’.
⊕ Go through the steps below to create your story...
1. Choose a setting with two opposing groups:
- vampires vs werewolves
- Chelsea fans vs Arsenal fans
- aliens vs humans
- geeks vs trendies
- noughts vs crosses
- cats vs dogs
- Choose your own opposing groups!
2. Choose four characters to be in the story...
- The boy – troubled teen – he's heart-broken most of the time
- His friend – the understanding sort, full of sensible advice.
- The girl – she's young and very beautiful
- Her cousin – claims he’s not looking for trouble, but always finds it!
- The boy's father – set in his ways
- The girl's father – expects her to obey his every word!
3. Suddenly something happens!
- The girl's cousin challenges the boy to a fight
- The father finds out they've been meeting in secret
- They decide to escape together
- The boy kills the cousin in a fight and is banished
- Choose your own idea