During World War II, between between 26 May and 4 June 1940, Allied soldiers were evacuated from the beaches and harbour of the French port of Dunkirk. The evacuation was code-named Operation Dynamo. British Prime Minister Winston Churchill praised the ‘miracle’ of Dunkirk but added that ‘wars are not won by evacuations).
⊕ Go through the steps below to create your story...
1. Choose the first character for your story...
- Bill (fishing boat captain)
- Charlie (teenager)
- Jimmy (sergeant in British army)
- Wiktor (Polish Spitfire pilot)
- Laurant (French farmer)
- Marie (French citizen)
2. Choose a second character....
- Terry (wounded British soldier)
- Franz (patrol boat captain)
- Otto (U boat - submarine captain)
- Wolfgang (Stukka pilot)
- Horst (machine gunner)
- Helena (nurse)
- Choose your own idea
3. Where does the story start?
- On the beach (La panne)
- On the sand dunes
- Mid channel (half way between
- England and France)
- On the pier
- Choose our own option
4. Choose two things to be in the story...
- machine gun
- air attack
- U Boat attack
- sinking boat
- German deserter
5. Start writing at the heart of the story.
If you are working with a partner - write one line each.